Thursday, September 3, 2009

Crazy first day of work!!! (Oct 21, 2008 1:26 PM)

Whoa! Yesterday was my first day of work at VCPI here in Milwaukee, and it was insane! The day started horribly. I had everything planned out, and worked out. We had arranged with the daycare center for them to pick Sophie up at our apartment at 7:30 am since last week, when we enrolled her. We filled out their transportation forms and everything. Then I called to double check Friday afternoon,. and they confirmed it. So I had planned to take the bus to work, since it was supposed to rain, which would get me to work in about ten minutes. I was supposed to be at work at 8:30am yesterday, so them picking her up at 7:30, would have given me ample time to eat breakfast, finish getting ready, and get to work. This was far form the actual turnout of events. The daycare center decided not to show up at 7:30am, I called them, no answer, left voice mail. Waited till 7:45, then decided to take her myself, its not too far, although it was raining, and I had to take her in the bike, so I got drenched on the way there. When I get to the daycare center around 8:00 am, there is no one there, it was completely closed!!! They're supposed to be open 24/7!!! And I still have Sophie and need to get to work in 30 minutes...so I am at a loss as to what to do. I wait, and wait, what seemed to be an eternity(in the rain), and at 8:10 I decided to call Geli and ask her to please come get Sophie and stay with her so I can go to work since it is my first day, and she agreed. Five minutes later though, they show up at the daycare center, so I tell Geli to cancel that, since they're here. I had no time to argue with them, I simply brought Sophie in(who did not get wet, since she was in the little bike carriage), told them we'd be picking her up, and got on my way to work around 8:15. On the way to work, I went much faster than I usually would on the bike in an effort to get there on time, since now, I was about 3 miles away, instead of only 2, from the house, and away from the bus route I had planned to take. This fast riding, in the rain, led to me falling off the bike at a turn of course. I was okay, and surprisingly, it had no effect on the level of wetness since already I was drenched. I finally get to work at 8:33, not bad considering all that has happened, but not a great way to make a good first impression. Not to mention I was also dripping water. Its as if I had decided to shower with my clothes on that morning, and went to work. Despite all this, everything went very well at work. I eventually dried up, mostly. I really like it, and I'm sure I'll be fine there. My boss took me and the other trainee out to lunch to a diner a block from our building. I have my own desk, my own work extension, work email, and access to the applications we need already. Now I just need to learn how to use them! lol Despite everyone being dressed up, and in a downtown setting, it seems very relaxed there. It doesn't feel tense or hectic, and unlike every other job I've had before, the people don't seem to hate being there. All in all, it was a great first day. Very eventful, and I'm glad that despite the rough start, it ended well. I missed Sophie, and wondered how she was throughout the day, but i guess that's something I'll need to get used to. I was glad to be home at the end of the day with Geli and Sophie Off to another day of work today, assuming the daycare people show up today....

1 comment:

  1. Dude! I remember that day, I remember being at the parking lot when you told me you didnt need me to go anymore...I felt so bad for you!! I wish I could have done more for you that day! But things have improved since then :)

    ReplyDelete