Thursday, November 26, 2009

New Shoes!!!

Well, I feel weird even writing about shoes. But I think these "dress" shoes call for that. Being vegan, buying leather shoes, belts, or anything leather or wool is out of the question. Society relies SO HEAVILY on leather, that it complicates buying shoes and belts when you are vegan. I had found some shoes at payless that were not leather, but as is expected at payless, this is not done for any ethical reasons, but for economical reasons. As a result, these shoes leave a lot to be desired when it comes to quality. They were peeling, the soles had holes in them in less than a year, it was just embarrasing to even wear them lol. I was dreading looking for shoes again because its no easy task. After looking online, I found some shoes that I decided to buy, although I did not have high expectations because they were labeled vegan, and that alone usually makes the item super expensive, even if the quality is not necessarily superior. But I ordered them anyway, after all, they were on sale and had my size. They were only $50.




When I got them, I was very pleasantly surprised. They still need to be put to the test(and the "Chuy" test is no easy test). But as far as initial quality, I am very impressed. Impressed enough to blog about them haha. They feel like good shoes, firm, yet comfortable. If they last, I am so ordering them again! So of course, it CAN be done. We don't need leather to make good quality shoes. People just choose not to, which is the sad part.

5 comments:

  1. well i wonder why your last pair of shoes was falling apart after a year's worth of use? could it be because you biked with them through the winter?! i think they weren't that crappy, it's just that you gave them hell...i dont think they make dress shoes durable to bike wear and much less Milwaukee-winter wear!!! but your new shoes are cool! im so glad you liked them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha i'm curious.. what's the chuy test?? and yes i was trying to find some boots that are non leather (impossible) so when i looked online i found some but they were RIDICULOUSLY expensive!!! it sucks :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some pretty cool shoes :). And even though I do eat meat, I don't like to wear leather, so I kind of know what it's like. Haha, what could the Chuy test be, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Chuy test is surviving the winter here. I have wear them to work everyday, and I am either walking through snow/ice to get to bus stops, or riding the bike in them. So yeah, not exactly their intended purpose lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuy pues si tanto te gustaron, asegurate de llevar el repuesto ahora que te vas a otro continente y tambien tu par de tenis especiales, para que no vayas a batallar:)

    ReplyDelete