Friday, March 5, 2010

Finally...

It took me a long time, but I finally feel like I know what I want. I feel like I finally know what I want to be when I "grow up". Like I finally know what I should have been looking for in life all along. Like I finally know what questions to ask. I feel like I finally know what I am passionate about...


Okay, so I'm "grown up" already, at least physically I am. And some of these are obvious to some people. But they were not to me. I had to search and learn to find what really interested me. When I was younger I was really into music, but I did not see a stable future there. I was good at math and science, but nothing was overly interesting. I really don't think I cared about much. I was just cruising by. What a waste of time(at least academically) that was...


So where do I start? Well, the easy one. What do I want to be when I "grow up"? Quick answer, a scientist. An Evolutionary Biologist, to be precise. Science enhances your life everyday in countless ways. I want to be part of that discovery. Researching what we don't know, or learning more about what we don't know much about. Astronomy comes a close second. But I think despite both being fascinating, Biology is still a bit more interesting to me. What can be more fascinating than the study of life?! Haha, I know most people don't agree. But that's the whole point, now I know what interests me.  






Does this mean that I hate where I am at, or what I am doing? Not at all. I like IT and it is also interesting. And I am doing well in IT. IT is just not as interesting as Biology now is to me. I just wish I would have known this when I was 17! haha But I was a foolish teenager. For some strange reason, I took pride in not reading
I did everything I could to get out of reading, whether it be text books, novels in English class(Cliff notes were enough to pass most of the time lol), or anything really. I did the least amount of reading I could to get by. I am pretty sure that is why I never felt very interested in anything I was doing. And now, I don't have enough time in the day to do the reading I would like to! I spent my whole time at school(minus the last year at NMSU) with the wrong mentality. I will most likely go back to school sometime in the near future. It shouldn't take me a full 4 years to get a degree, considering I have my basics and plenty of math and science courses from my electrical engineering days. Even if it does, I will enjoy learning this time, and I won't fight it, or see it as a drag. I look forward to it. For now, I will continue to learn about Biology, Astronomy, Technology, and whatever else I can. 


I have changed a lot in the last few years in many respects...

6 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you found your calling :) I hope that you are able to go back to school soon to pursue it!! :) And Im SO glad that now you dont think reading is a waste of time anymore!! It always amazed me when you said that....I didnt even know how to approach with a response to it haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chuy,

    Congrats on discovering your passion!

    Seeing as you already have a job that pays well, why dont you consider devoting time to Free Online Biology Courses, Here's a link:

    http://education-portal.com/articles/10_Universities_Offering_Free_Science_Courses_Online.html

    You will find biology courses offered by amazing schools like MIT, Univ. of California (Berkeley), and Carnegie Mellon.

    If you commit to these courses, you can develop a very deep base which you can take with you and excel if you do pursue a degree at a University.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuy chuy chuy...

    Holy mother of jesus...(mom) lol

    ANYWAY...

    dude....

    you don't know how stoked i am for you!

    finiding that drive in life thats make you feel alive...

    that feeling that drives you out of bed that you wake up thinking about and go to sleep stoked to start your next day for.

    Passion. geez. reminds me of my tat, lol

    dude... serious talk. Im mega stoked for you. Mega proud that you found what your REALLY passionate about. fuck. A scientist... honestly. While i was reading this blog i thought you were going to say you wanted to be a motivational speaker lol cause your really good at that lol well as far teaching people what you know kind of thing...

    but anyways man... dang... congrats dude!!

    stoked to see what your future holds as an Evolutionary Bioligist

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is totally awesome, nothing better than finding out what you really want to do when you "grow up", haha. Hope you do go back to school to study your real passion :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so amazing dude :] you have changed a lot! reading is a huge part of life!! or at least it should be. haha... anyway, i hope both you and angelica have the chance to go back to school.

    ps- i love what angelica did to your blog! it looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah! Geli did an awesome job! I like it a lot! :)
    And we will go back to school :) It might be our ticket out of this country, student visas!

    ReplyDelete